Primary areas of skill (have used in primary job function or have had equivalent
- C/C++ on a Unix platform
- Very thorough knowledge of MySQL source code and architecture
- TCP/IP client/server programming
- Managing a high-load mission critical Web/Database server
- Unix administration/troubleshooting (especially Linux)
- SQL Databases (especially MySQL)
- Apache Web Server (especially writing modules)
- Qt library
- x86 assembly
Secondary areas of skills (have used from time to time as a secondary job function, or
developed in school or during my spare time)
- Ethernet LAN setup
- PC Hardware
- Win 3.1/9x/NT Administration/Troubleshooting
- Microsoft Visual C++
- Visual Basic
- Senior Software Engineer at LinkedIn. Implemented custom extensions to MySQL source
code base. Performed MySQL performance evaluation and optimization. Provided in-house support for MySQL application developers and DBAs. Feb 2011 - present.
- Senior Consultant at Percona. Helped customers optimize MySQL database performance.
Implemented custom solutions, including extensions to MySQL source code. Solved
production database outage emergencies. June 2010 - Jan 2011.
- Implemented MySQL bridge and customized MySQL source code for Kickfire Database Appliance. December 2006 - June 2010.
- Independent consulting with most of the work in optimizing MySQL performance and troubleshooting stability problems in high-load database applications. January 2005 - present.
- Consulting work for CuData.Com. Implemented
the site functionality in PHP/MySQL. June 2004 - present.
- Created and currentinly maintaining Fast Running Blog (MySQL/PHP/Apache). January 2006 - present.
- IT Director at SurveyZ.Com. Responsible for
maintaining and extending
an online survey building system written in Java, system administration,
MySQL database administration, and security. Implemented a bulk mailing system
to distribute survey invitations in PHP with MySQL backend. Apr 2003 - Apr 2006
- Sales/Support Engineer with MySQL Inc. Worked with the sales team to help with
technical issues. Provided high-level customer support over the phone and
through e-mail. Visited customers on-site to
help optimize applications and perform troubleshooting. Apr 2002 - Apr 2003
- C/C++/PHP/Perl senior programmer with MySQL AB. Developed internal replication
capabilities inside the MySQL server. Made a presentation on MySQL replication
at OSCON 2001. Wrote the original code for mysqltest, a key utility in the MySQL test suite.
Provided technical support (including telephone/login). Secondary
job functions included benchmarking MySQL performance, system administration (Linux),
and web development (PHP). Dec 1999 -
- C/C++/Perl/Unix programmer with NorthSky/FreeServers - wrote an Apache module to handle a large number of virtual hosts - Aug 1999 - Dec 1999
- Unix/CGI/Perl/C++/Java Programmer with Sysadmin as a secondary job function
Dec 1997 - Aug 1999
- CGI/Perl/Oracle Programmer + system administration responsibilities
with On'Village Communications. Some work with C++, ODI database,
Java, and TCP/IP. Aug 1997 - Dec 1997.
- Graduate Research Assistant at the BYU Business School of Management
developing an ORM/OSA tool in Java and Visual Basic Apr 1997 - Aug 1997
- Student Programmer with Financial Computing Support at BYU writing
client-server applications in Cobol with embedded SQL and Java, and
shell scripts in Perl - Nov 1996 - Apr 1997
- Extensive self-education efforts to learn C, C++, and x86 assembly 1993 - 1994
- School work 1994, 1996 - 1997
- Moscow State University, Department of Mechanics and Mathematics, 1990 - 1992
- Brigham Young University, Computer Science Major, 1994, 1996 - 1998,
BS in 1998
- GPA Cumulative: 3.57 Major: 3.57
- Russian ( native speaker)
- Spanish (fluent)
- Personal bests: Marathon - 2:23:57 (St. George), Half-Marathon - 1:07:03
- Marathon wins: Top of Utah 2003, Top of Utah 2004, Boise 2000, Boise 2001
- Half-Marathon wins: Hobblecreek 2000, Hobblecreek 2003, Hobblecreek 2004,
Provo River 2004
- Won the Utah Long Distance Road Circuit in 2006.
- Set two personal bests in the marathon within a two week period -
September 20, 2003 Top of Utah, 2:27:46 + October 4, 2003 St. George 2:24:47
- Born in 1973 in Rubeznoye, Ukraine
- Grew up in Moscow, Russia
- At the age of 16 spoke no English. Taught myself by reading books, and magazines,
listening to radio, and speaking with American friends in Moscow. At the age of 20 scored
720 (out of 800) on the verbal section of the SAT which is the 99th percentile among
- Joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1992
- Came to Provo in 1994 to attend BYU
- Served a proselyting mission for the Church in 1994 - 1996 in Salt Lake
- Married Sarah A. Matthews in 1996 in the Provo Temple.
- Sarah and I are parents of seven children